A NSW Government website

Development certification

Certificates for building work or subdivisions

Anyone undertaking building work or planning to subdivide land is responsible for obtaining certificates to show the work complies with relevant legislation and other standards. 

This certification process ensures that development on Lord Howe Island is safe, is of the highest standard, and meets industry standards and the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

The Lord Howe Island Board (LHIB) can advise which certificates are required for each development. These certificates are issued by either the LHIB or accredited certifiers — both are experts on technical standards and regulations, though neither is responsible for supervising builders.

Appointing a certifying authority

If work requires a post-consent certificate such as a construction certificate, an accredited certifer must be appointed as the principal certifying authority (PCA) before work commences.

It is mandatory that post-consent certificates ie: Construction/Occupation certificates are registered by the certifier via the NSW Planning Portal within two (2) working days of the certificate being issued.

Once appointed, the certifying authority will review building and subdivision works. They do this by making sure:

  • detailed plans and specifications for proposed work comply with relevant building standards and development consent requirements;
  • important building elements such as fire safety systems are installed to the required standards;
  • the completed building or subdivision work is safe and healthy to occupy or use.

Notice of Commencement

Written notice must be given to the Lord Howe Island Board at least two (2) weeks prior to the commencement of building work.