A NSW Government website


Registry office marriages

The Board can assist with providing a registrar to conduct a wedding ceremony during business hours (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm), subject to the registrar’s availability.

Lodging a Notice of Intended Marriage

An original completed Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be received by the Board not earlier than 18 months but at least one month prior to the marriage ceremony. Refer to the Fees and Charges page for the lodgement fee. You must also provide certified copies of the following:

  • an official certificate, or an official extract of an entry in an official register, showing the date and place of birth of the party; or
  • a statutory declaration made by the party or a parent of the party stating that, for reasons specified in the declaration, it is impracticable to obtain such a certificate or extract and stating, to the best of the declarants knowledge and belief and as accurately as the declarant has been able to ascertain, when and where the party was born; or
  • a passport issued by a government of an overseas country, showing the date and place of birth of the party; or
  • an Australian passport, showing the date and place of birth of the party.
Pre-wedding interview

The couple is required to:

  • produce the originals of all documents provided in support of the NOIM for sighting by the interviewer;
  • finalise the time and place of the ceremony;
  • provide specific details (wording) of the ceremony required, together with any readings;
  • discuss any other requirements;
  • pay for the ceremony (refer to Fees and Charges);
  • pay for provision of witnesses if applicable (refer to Fees and Charges).

Original documents with English translation

All documents provided must be in English. If not in English, then a qualified interpreter must translate them.

Standard ceremonies


After the ceremony

At your marriage ceremony, the Lord Howe Island Board will provide you with a commemorative certificate to take home. The commemorative certificate is not an official certificate of marriage. After your marriage, the Lord Howe Island Board will send your documentation to Births Deaths and Marriages for registration. Couples must then apply online, in person or by post to receive an official marriage certificate from Births Deaths and Marriages.

More information and advice on applying for an official marriage certificate