Registry Office Marriages

The Manager/Chief Executive Officer, Lord Howe Island Board, is a prescribed authority under section 115 of the Marriage Act 1961. Ceremonies can be conducted at the Board's Administration Office or at any other place on the Island, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm, excluding public holidays, subject to other commitments.

Arrangements may be made, at the discretion of the Chief Executive Officer, to perform marriages on normal working days outside business hours, however an additional fee will apply.

Lodging a Notice of Intended Marriage

An original completed Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be received by the Board not earlier than 18 months but at least one month prior to the marriage ceremony. Refer to the Fees and Charges for the lodgement fee. You must also provide certified copies of the following:

  • an official certificate, or an official extract of an entry in an official register, showing the date and place of birth of the party; or
  • a statutory declaration made by the party or a parent of the party stating that, for reasons specified in the declaration, it is impractible to obtain such a certifcate or extract and stating, to the best of the declarants knowledge and belief and as accurately as the declarant has been able to ascertain, when and where the party was born; or
  • a passport issued by a government of an overseas country, showing the date and place of birth of the party; or 
  • an Australian passport, showing the date and place of birth of the party.

Pre-Wedding Interview

The couple are required to:

  • Produce the originals of all documents provided in support of the NOIM for sighting by the interviewer;
  • Finalise the time and place of the ceremony;
  • Provide specific details (wording) of the ceremony required, together with any readings;
  • Discuss any other requirements;
  • Pay for the ceremony (refer to Fees and Charges);
  • Pay for provision of witnesses if applicable (refer to Fees and Charges).

Original Documents with English Translation

All documents provided must be in English. If not in English then a qualified interpreter must translate them.

Standard Ceremonies

Ceremony 1 PDF 76 KB

Ceremony 2 PDF 76 KB

Ceremony 3 PDF 75 KB

Ceremony 4 PDF 75 KB

After the Ceremony

At your marriage ceremony the Lord Howe Island Board will provide you with a Commemorative Certificate to take home. The Commemorative Certificate is not to be mistaken for the Official Certificate of Marriage. After your marriage the Lord Howe Island Board will send your documentation to Births Deaths and Marriages for registration. Couples then need to apply online, in person or by post to receive an Official Marriage Certificate from Births Deaths and Marriages.

Please see the below link for more information for advice on applying for an Official Marriage Certificate,

Further Information with regard to marriage can be obtained from the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, phone 1330 655 236 and the Australian Government Attorney-General's Department.