The Manager/Chief Executive Officer, Lord Howe Island Board, is a prescribed authority under section 115 of the Marriage Act 1961. Ceremonies can be conducted at the Board's Administration Office or at any other place on the Island, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm, excluding public holidays, subject to other commitments.
Arrangements may be made, at the discretion of the Chief Executive Officer, to perform marriages on normal working days outside business hours, however an additional fee will apply.
Lodging a Notice of Intended Marriage
An original completed Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be received by the Board must be received by this office not earlier than 18 months but at least one month prior to the marriage ceremony. The lodgement fee is $159.00 (non-refundable). You must also provide certified copies of the following:
- Full birth certificates, an Australian passport cannot be accepted;
- If previously married evidence of termination of previous marriage (divorce papers or death certificate, if applicable);
- If you were born overseas, a birth certificate or a valid overseas passport is required.
The bride and groom are required to:
- Produce the originals of all documents provided in support of the NOIM for sighting by the interviewer;
- Finalise the time and place of the ceremony;
- Provide specific details (wording) of the ceremony required, together with any readings;
- Discuss any other requirements;
- Pay for the ceremony - $438.00 or $710.00 if ceremony is outside business hours;
- Pay for provision of witnesses - $111.00 per witness (if applicable).
Original documents with English translation
All documents provided must be in English. If not in English then a qualified interpreter must translate them.
Ceremony 1 PDF 485 KB
Ceremony 2 PDF 484 KB
Ceremony 3 PDF 483 KB
Ceremony 4 PDF 483 KB
Further Information with regard to marriage can be obtained from the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, phone 1330 655 236 and the Australian Government Attorney-General's Department.