The Lord Howe Island Permanent Park Preserve (LHI PPP) was created in January 1982 with the fundamental purpose of preserving the Island's native flora and fauna in accordance with the Lord Howe Island Act 1953 and the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974. The LHI PPP forms the majority of the land area of the Lord Howe Island Group (70%), including its offshore islands. The settlement area of the island is excluded from the LHI PPP.
The LHI PPP is managed in accordance with the Lord Howe Island Permanent Park Preserve Plan of Management. This plan can be downloaded from the Plans area of this website.